Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Short Day in the Old City

This actually happened a few weeks ago but I thought it would still make a really good blog post. In the midst of midterms we had to find time to go to a museum for an ANES assignment so a couple of friends and I went out on a Wednesday. The outing probably should have been only 3 hours long but it ended up being 5! Oh well, it was my favorite days I've had in the city so far! so amazing! We went to visit Omar! A great reminder to leave this life with empty pockets:)


After seeing Omar we get falafel off the street. This was my first time to get falafel and it was SO DELICIOUS! There is a place in the city that sells them for only 7 shekels (less than 2 dollars) so I know I will be getting more! Why have I waited so long to get them off the street? We have them in the center sometimes for lunch but this was so much better! I have recently started a new goal to try new food ever time I go to the city and so far I have been very please! I am going to miss the food.
My first falafel!



Erin and Lindsey eating their falafel.




We sat down to eat our falafel on some stairs leading up t a house in a residential street not too far from a main road. As Casey and I finished our falafel this man come down the stairs. Naturally Casey and I moved out of his way but he actually was coming to get us! He invited us up into his house to meet his sister-in-law! We talked mostly with the sister for a while and she was so nice to us! She gave us water and date juice and some other date stuff. It was so delicious! She talked with us and just started telling us her entire life story and she has such an interesting story. We asked a few questions but she just sat there and told us her life story. It was awesome. She was so nice to us and her house was really nice too. I really want to go back to visit Rabi'a' next week. She was so kind! When we were leaving the brother showed up again and gave us two big bunches of grapes! We had done nothing for them but they took us in a gave us their food and time! I love these personal interactions with the people! they are my favorite! We then preceded to the citadel museum and had a good time there too but by far the best part of the day was meeting Rabi'a' and her brother. They were such examples of kindness and charity!

The Citadel Museum! This a really awesome museum. It was actually built into an old Citadel! Sweet! Probably one of the funniest parts was this amazingly animated and extremely factually correct movie at the very beginning of the tour. I feel asleep and had a dream during this ten minute movie and still remember those details. It's amazing right! The museum was actually really great but the movie... left something to be desired. I mean look at those ruins! We had a really good time and the view from the tower there was amazing!



1 comment:

  1. What exactly is falafel? And that is so cool. :) It sounds like you're having the time of your life! Don't you just love when random people talk to you? It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete